How to run your own event
Six simple steps to running a successful
Step 1: Your idea
- The simplest ideas are often the best. Think about your target
audience. What will your friends, family and colleagues be excited
to be a part of?
- Make sure your event is actually going to raise money (!) and
that the time you spend organising it is realistic.
Step 2: Where
Decide on a venue:
- Remember if you don’t ask, you don’t get – venues will often
give you a discount on rental costs or even waive them
- If you want to sell alcohol or have live music, make sure the
venue has the right licenses.
- Check the public transport links to your venue are good.
Step 3: When
Decide on a date:
- Think carefully about clashes with established events or public
- Think about the weather
Step 4: Budgeting
Set yourself a realistic target:
- Work out all costs and estimate how much money you are going to
- Look at how you can reduce costs wherever possible
- Set a date before your event begins to review payments made and
Step 5: Promotion
Shout about your event:
- Think about who you are targeting and how they will best
receive information, eg email, posters, flyers.
- Think about where you want to promote – how far and wide?
- Look at cost of printing and remember to ask printers if they
will waive the cost for you as a charitable donation.
Step 6: After the fun is over
Say thank you:
- Don’t forget to thank all those who took part and any companies
who donated services