Development Awards help tackle financial
barriers that may be preventing you from accessing education,
training or employment.
If you're looking for funding to start
your own business, please visit our
You may be eligible for a grant if you are
a UK resident, and you are:
- Aged 14-17 still in compulsory education and
do not have/are not expecting to achieve five GCSEs grades
A-C (or equivalent)
- Aged 17-25 and unemployed or
working fewer than 16 hours a week, or in education fewer than
14 hours a week
Examples of what can be funded include:
- tools or equipment for a job or qualification e.g. hairdressing
kit, carpentry tools, chef's whites
- course fees
- interview clothes
- license fees e.g. CSCS card (construction) or SIA license
- childcare costs to help single parents access short term
- transport to a new job until first pay cheque
The following cannot be funded:
- costs over £500
- everyday living expenses such as rent or bills
- retrospective grants
- gap year or overseas projects
- medical treatment
- costs associated with NVQ Level 4, HNC, HND, degree or
post-grad courses or courses of an equivalent level
- Business Start Ups (If you're interested in starting your own
business, please see our Enterprise
How does it work?
Applications will be assessed based on availability of local
funding, which varies across the country.
If you are eligible for a Development Award and funding is
available in your local area you will be invited to an Assessment
meeting before submitting your application for final decision. The
whole process can take up to six weeks, so applications should be
made well in advance, if possible.
What do I need to do next?
Get in touch with The Prince's Trust and try to answer these
- What do you need the funding for?
- How much money do you need?
- Have you looked into other possible sources of funding?
- Will the funding help you into education, training or
Submit your details:
- Fill out the online
- Speak to someone about all Prince’s Trust programmes and any
general enquiries by calling 0800 842842
- Find out about funding availability in
your local area
- Alternatively, text “Call Me” to 07983
- Over 5000 young people received a Development Award last
- 83% of Award recipients are in sustained employment, education
or training (measured three months post Award)
Ready to apply?
Interested in applying for one of our programmes? Please fill in
our online form and our team will get in touch.